Quick Facts about the Housing Authority:

  • We are an independent local public agency.
  • We serve over 4,000 families per year through rental and homeowner-ship programs.
  • We are not part of HUD (Department of Housing and Urban Development). However, many of our programs are funded through HUD.

What Kind of Assistance Does the Housing Authority Offer?

The Housing Authority assists thousands of families through the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) rental assistance program. We also own several apartment complexes for low-income families through our affiliated nonprofit organization New Horizons Affordable Housing and Development. In addition, we administer a number of special programs for renters and homeowners.

I’m a landlord. How do I get involved in Housing Authority programs?

The Housing Authority has specially-trained staff who can assist landlords who wish to participate in our rental programs. We offer direct deposit and a number of other landlord-friendly services. To get acquainted visit our landlord section.

What if I need help now?

The Housing Authority does not have any programs that can help people with emergency housing needs. All of our programs require some kind of application process, and many have long waiting lists. If you have immediate housing needs, please visit our Links page for more housing resources.

I am not a Housing Authority client, but I am a renter or a homeowner having a problem related to housing. Can you help me?

We are unable to help with most tenant-landlord disputes.

How do you help renters?

The Housing Authority has a number of programs for low-income renters, including:

  • The Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) program allows you to select a unit to rent. With this program, renters pay about 30% of their income in rent and the Housing Authority pays the rest, within certain limits.
  • The Housing Authority owns several apartment complexes, including public housing and farmworker housing that we rent to low-income families at affordable rent levels.

The Security Deposit program makes a limited amount of assistance available in certain locations to qualified renters who just need help with move-in costs.

Our rental programs do have waiting lists. To find out more, go here.

I’d like to buy a home. What special programs do you have?

The Housing Authority’s first time homebuyer programs include:

First time homebuyer downpayment loans for low to moderate income families. The amount and type of assistance varies by city.

Mortgage Credit Certification (MCC) program, which offers a tax credit to first time homebuyers to help make the costs of homeownership more affordable.

The Housing Choice Voucher program has a homeownership option that allows participants to use their voucher to purchase a home.

What programs are available to higher income families?

If you are not low-income, you may still be eligible for assistance through our Security Deposit program as well as some of our homeownership programs. See our income limits here.

Si desea una traducción en español, por favor llame al (831) 454-9455.