Special Information for Tenants Renting Units Owned by the Housing Authority

Important Information:

  • Rent is due on the 1st and late on the 5th (for USDA, rent is late on the 10th.)
  • Please notify us if you’ll be gone for 7 days or more. You may not be gone for more than 30 days.
  • Need to speak to us? We are not available for drop-in appointments, but please call.
  • Have a suggestion? We welcome your input and encourage you to suggest ideas for improving your complex.

What are the general guidelines for tenants renting apartments from the Housing Authority?

Please see your lease and Occupancy Rules for a complete list. Here’s a partial list of the requirements we are asked about most often:

  • You may have visitors for up to 7 days. If you wish to have a visitor for more than 7 days, you must request permission. You are fully responsible for your visitor’s behavior and they must comply with all Housing Authority rules while staying with you.
  • You must report changes, including changes to income and people moving out, immediately. You must request permission in advance before allowing someone to move in.
  • Please supervise your children when they are playing outside. No skateboards, bikes, or scooters may be ridden on Housing Authority property. Kids can play in the grass, but not in the parking lot.
  • Before you install a satellite dish, you must call our office and we will send you the installation requirements
  • If you’d like to get a pet, please call us for a pet application. Pets are not allowed at Merrill or USDA.
  • Please park in your own parking spot, not in a neighbor’s spot and never in a red zone. You are not allowed to work on your car or wash your car in the parking lot. Cars must be registered and operable. The Housing Authority will tow vehicles if these rules aren’t followed.
  • Please be courteous to your neighbors and keep noise down. Quiet hours are 10 pm – 8 am.
  • Please keep the parking lot and common areas clean and throw away your trash in dumpsters. Do not put furniture or appliances in the dumpsters.
  • Good housekeeping is a requirement. Keep your home free of mold, rodents, bugs, and trip hazards, especially phone or cable cords. Poor housekeeping can result in tenant charges.

How should I handle emergency maintenance problems?

  • Call our after-hours phone number for maintenance emergencies: (831) 427-8206
  • Use our emergency number for true emergencies such as fire, flood, or anything that poses immediate damage or harm. Usually, a loss of heat or hot water is not an emergency.
  • A lockout is not an emergency. We may be able to help during normal working hours, but we will charge you. You may also call a locksmith.
  • If you have a clogged toilet or drain, try a plunger first. If you only have one toilet in your apartment and it is clogged, this may be considered an emergency. However, remember that tenants are always charged for clogged toilets or drains.
  • If you see a crime, call the police, and then call us so that we can follow up. We have an excellent relationship with the local police departments.

How are non-emergency maintenance problems handled?

  • Call our office or write us to request a non-emergency repair. Don’t assume we already know about the problem!
  • If we need to arrange for a vendor to come to your apartment, an adult will need to be present.
  • Our staff and vendors will not enter an apartment if there are only minor children present, or if there is a growling or barking dog.
  • We prioritize work orders based on the urgency of the repair item.
  • You will be charged for tenant-caused damage, or for items you failed to report.
  • For the safety of you and your neighbors, removing smoke detector batteries is forbidden. Call us if you have a problem with a smoke detector.
  • Please report burned-out lights or any other problems with common areas.

What about move-outs?

Your lease requires a 30-day written notice before you move out. You are responsible for cleaning your apartment, turning in the keys, and giving us a forwarding address. Please call us if you would like to schedule a walk-through before you move out to look for possible tenant charges.